Yemen News Agency (SABA)
Home      Revolution Leader   About President   Local   International   US-Saudi Aggression   Civil Society   Economy   Reports   Photo Gallery   Video Library  
Deutsch | Français | عـربي | RSS Feed
Search | Advance Search
 
  Local
What is happening in Shabwa is conflict between aggression coalition countries with Yemeni blood: Shabwa province Agent
[10 August 2022]
5 houses destroyed, more than 40 damaged in old Sana'a due to rain
[09 August 2022]
Minister of State Alia Abdullatif meets UNICEF Resident Representative
[09 August 2022]
President Al-Mashat meets head of Civil Defense Authority
[09 August 2022]
Aggression forces committed 185 violations of armistice within 24 hours
[09 August 2022]
 
  International
Minister of State Alia Abdullatif meets UNICEF Resident Representative
[09 August 2022]
HR refutes allegations, fallacies of SG of UN over children of Yemen
[09 August 2022]
Parliament Speaker congratulates Singaporean counterpart on National Day
[09 August 2022]
Amir Abdollahian: Zionist Crimes Sign of Desperation
[09 August 2022]
30 Palestinian civilians injured by Israeli live bullets in Nablus
[09 August 2022]
 
  Reports
Governor of Marib: Oil wealth in Marib looted by aggression forces, mercenaries
[04 August 2022]
Aggression coalition plunders over $14 billion in Yemeni crude oil revenues
[26 July 2022]
Gulf states , humiliating normalization with Zionist entity
[02 July 2022]
Investment Authority Council, chaired by PM, discusses a number of investment topics
[21 June 2022]
99th Anniversary of Tanomah Massacre
[19 June 2022]
 
  US-Saudi Aggression
What is happening in Shabwa is conflict between aggression coalition countries with Yemeni blood: Shabwa province Agent
[10 August 2022]
Aggression forces committed 185 violations of armistice within 24 hours
[09 August 2022]
Aggression commits 88 violations in Hodeida within 24 hours
[09 August 2022]
Aggression forces committed 143 violations of armistice within 24 hours
[09 August 2022]
Aggression commits 56 violations in Hodeida within 24 hours
[08 August 2022]
  Local
UN: Bombing on Hodeidah city port violates IHL
UN: Bombing on Hodeidah city port violates IHL
UN: Bombing on Hodeidah city port violates IHL
[20/August/2015]



SANA'A, Aug. 20 (Saba) – Under-Secretary-General for Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs Stephen O'Brien has denounced the Saudi-led coalition bombing on the port city of Hodeidah and considered it a violation of International Humanitarian Law (IHL).

“I am extremely concerned that the damage to the port of Hodeidah could have a severe impact on the entire country, and would deepen humanitarian needs, making more people food insecure, leaving them without access to water or medicines, which could also mean the spread of disease.”

O'Brien also condemned reports of airstrikes and other shelling in and around Hodeidah port earlier this week, which damaged the main lifelines for the import of basic goods.

Just back from Yemen and “shocked” by what he saw there, the top United Nations humanitarian official told the Security Council that the scale of human suffering is nearly incomprehensible, and that unless stakeholders get the parties to stop the fighting and return to the negotiating table, soon “there will be nothing left to fight for.”

“The civilian population is bearing the brunt of the conflict – a shocking four out of five Yemenis require humanitarian assistance and nearly 1.5 million people are internally displaced. More than 1,000 children have been killed or injured and the number of young people recruited or used as fighters is increasing,” O'Brien said to the 15 members-body.

Reporting about “massive” needs among the population, he said they keep being exacerbated by impediments to commercial imports, resulting in widespread scarcity of food and fuel. In Aden, where people are overwhelmed by the scale of the destruction, the task ahead is rebuilding in their “shattered” city, where unexploded ordnance litter the streets and buildings. Electricity, essential for water pumping and cereal milling, is rare and intermittent, he added.

Against this backdrop, humanitarian assistance alone cannot meet all the needs of an entire country with a population of 26 million people. “This is why airports and seaports need to remain open and be used for both commercial imports and humanitarian supplies – without restrictions,” he advocated.

Parties to the conflict, he underlined, must ensure that humanitarian aid is facilitated and not hindered, and they must respect and implement international humanitarian law and possible violations must be investigated and perpetrators held accountable.

“As we reflect on the state of play globally on World Humanitarian Day, we unfortunately see a worsening situation, and a scale of needless humanitarian suffering that is truly shocking. We must act. We must do more to ensure that those of us in a position to prevent the abuses perpetrated against those who can do nothing are stopped, and that those who continue to carry them out are held to account,” said Mr. O'Brien, who is also the UN Emergency Relief Coordinator
“But much more needs to be done, the Under-Secretary-General acknowledged, stressing that the humanitarian community continues to scale up the response to reach all those in need, including by positioning more international staff across the country and establishing operational hubs in Aden, Ibb, Sa'ada and Mukalla, “as soon as the security situation allows.”

But success will depend on sufficient resources. Today, noted Mr. O'Brien, the World Food Programme warned again that a lack of immediate and unhindered access to people who urgently need food assistance and the shortage of funding create the possibility of famine for millions of Yemenis.

“Right now, the conflict-driven convergence between the lack of staple food, access to clean water, and a diminished fuel supply create the dawn of a perfect storm for the most vulnerable Yemeni people,” explained Ertharin Cousin, WFP Executive Director.

To date, only 18 per cent, some $282 million, of the 1.6 billion dollars requested through the Yemen Humanitarian Response Plan has been received and UN agencies have still not received the funding from Saudi Arabia of $274 million pledged in April, emphasized the Under-Secretary-General.

“Even once these funds are received, the response plan will only be funded at 33 per cent. Substantial additional resources will be needed to support the Yemeni people through the rest of this year and beyond.”

This is why the international community must match its actions with its words and take immediate measures to end the violence which is destroying the lives of millions of people across the country, concluded Mr. O'Brien

“We must get the parties to stop the fighting and return to the negotiating table, before it's too late. Otherwise there will be nothing left to fight for.”



HA/AM

Saba


Whatsapp
Telegram
Print

  more of (Local)
UPDATED ON :Wed, 10 Aug 2022 00:06:05 +0300