GENEVA February 07. 2023 (Saba) - The World Health Organization expected, on Tuesday, that the death toll from the devastating earthquake in central Turkey and northern Syria would be "eight times higher than the first figures" published.
The latest official toll, about 24 hours after the first 7.8-magnitude tremors, showed that more than 5,000 people were killed, as the death toll continued to rise on both sides of the border with the progress of search operations.
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the organization was particularly concerned about areas from which no information had been received since the earthquake.
"We are particularly concerned about areas from which we have not received information yet... (imagining) damage is one way of deducing where we need to focus our attention," Ghebreyesus said in a statement reported by Agence France-Presse.
In turn, Adelheid Marchang, an official at the Health Organization, said that the number of affected people may reach "23 million, including about five million in a vulnerable situation."
resource : Saba
|more of (International)|